How To Use Links For Promotion - Semalt Expert
Table of Content
- What are links and how are they important?
- What to do when using links for promotion
- The 10 don'ts during website promotion with links
- How do links promote a website?
If you have the chance to count how many websites are in existence on the web, it would be more than a million. And yours is one of them. But the only way to stand out amid the rest of them is through promotion (and well, a lot of other things too). And though you can promote your website by paying for ads and some other promotional processes, you can simply save your money and use links.
Links cost $0, just time and effort to create a good profile for your website and if you do it correctly, you would promote your brand and walk your way up the ladder towards popularity and authority in your niche. If you are interested in learning about how you can use links to promote your website, you have clicked the right article. So make sure you read till the end so that you would begin building the link profile that will sky-rocket your website to the spotlight.
What are links and how are they important?
A link is made up of two parts; a URL address and an anchor word. The URL address is attached to the anchor word so that the website carrying the link would be connected to the website whose URL address is used. Not only is this one of the major ways the web locates a website, but it is also how two or more websites connect and relate.
Links make the content look more assuring, trustworthy, and informative. It also makes the content look more credible because it passes power and trust. And most of all, links are very important to a site. Firstly, it is a Google ranking factor. So that means that a website with good and quality links tends to rank higher than those without. Also, a website that has a good link profile is better noticed since it is connected with other websites.
However, linking isn't just about putting a website's URL address within the pages of your website, it requires strategy especially if you aim to promote your website along the way. Knowledge of internal links as well as backlinks are needed and you need both to enhance the promotion of your website (this simply means that you need to link to other websites and other websites also need to link to you).
What to do when using links for promotion
Ever heard of a natural link profile? It is a link profile that does not look spam, congested, fake or bought. It is natural, original, high-quality, and best of all, it is working to promote the website. If you want to use links to promote your website, you need to understand that it is not a one-time thing. It is like a building that you keep adding one thing or the other until it becomes completed. It is a tree with lots of branches.
This means that the websites and mediums that carry your links (backlinks) should add your URL address naturally within the context of their site. You can also add your links to question forums, and blogs when you speak on them as a guest. But again, they need to look natural. Take this for example; a business that sells fish food should only have its landing page links on websites that have to do with fish and fish food. If you are placing the links too, place it within the context as 'fishes need good food like the ones mentioned in this website rather than 'fishes are amazing. Click this link to see some ideas for fish feeds.'
To prepare your website for promotion using linking, you need to create content that is original, unique, relevant, and useful for your readers so that when people do start clicking on your link, they'll land on a page that's worthy. Also, pay attention to the technical SEO of your site so that it loads fast, can be used on mobile phones, and is well-structured for crawling and indexing by search engine bots.
If your page is 'worthy enough' and you spread out your website's link to other mediums, people will not only click and stay, but they will also refer your site to other users that might likely be interested in your content. So now that we know what we should do when using links for website promotion, what are the things you should look out for?
The 10 don'ts during website promotion with links
Below are 10 key things that you MUST NOT do if you wish to promote your website with links:
- Buy links: Don't be tempted to buy links. Some people would offer to post our website's link on many websites for a small amount. This is not worth it. Many times, these websites are not relevant to your niche, have low quality, or are websites that cannot even be seen in the first place.
- Low-Quality link-carrying websites: Similar to the first point, websites that are of low quality should not carry your links. They do the total opposite of website promotion.
- Irrelevant anchor words: Anchor words are the words that carry the URL addresses. The anchor word must be relevant to the link so that it would be tagged as a misleading link.
- Irrelevant link-carrying website: The website carrying the link of your site should be relevant to your niche. A farming website shouldn't carry links to a mobile phone repair website.
- Using homepage alone as the landing page: This is another major mistake. Spread the links to other pages of your website apart from the homepage.
- Spam: Do not spam the links. This cannot be over-emphasized. Adding your link too many times within one content is just offensive and it does you no good.
- Content unworthy of links: No one would want to link to your site if your content does not provide enough value to share with others.
- Leaving social media out of it: Do not forget the power of social media. Add your links to your social media pages either within your bio profile or while commenting and captioning.
- Excluding copywriting and marketing: The main goal is to promote your site so do a little advert too. Leaving it all to links alone is going through the slow route. Take part in email marketing, and more and make sure to add your link.
- Doing it alone: Trying to carry the burden all on your own can be frustrating and would yield slow, or no result. Ask for help from professionals.
How do links promote a website?
It's a process - a simple automatic process that would lead to an increase in sales and revenue.
- The first stage is that your website should look good enough to be linked to. When your website provides information that one reader finds useful and worthy of sharing, they'll share.
- The second stage is when the next customer that is referred clicks on your link. If the customer is satisfied with your content, Google (and other search engines) records that someone that was referred found useful information on your website
- More visitors increase your ranking automatically.
- The higher your ranking, the more Google helps to increase your visibility.
- The more visibility you get, the more people see your brand and check-in.
- And since your website already provides content that your readers need (see the first point), then your conversion rate would be high and more realistic.
- The more your visitor-conversion rate, the more sales you'll record.
- And the more people buy, the more incoming revenue you can document.
Though it's a long process if you get it right once and for all, you might never need to do it over again. You will remain at the top with the job of maintenance alone rather than paying over and over again for promotion services and adverts that last for a short period.
Google and many other search engines add links are one of their ranking factors because they know how important it is for a business's visibility. With quality and relevant inbound links, you can bring your website from page 100 to 1 faster. But apart from it being a major ranking factor, it is also a golden method for website promotion. With the ways we have mentioned earlier, you can use links to promote and bring your website to the faces of your customers. And if you want to do things right, get the help of professionals. Not all of the services have to be paid for. Companies like Semalt offer both free and paid services and they are dedicated to the promotion of your website using links.